February 15, 2013

Scones

Well, we're finally out of the cookie chapter! We all had a lot of fun and learned a lot, but I think everyone is eager to try something new. The next chapter is scones and muffins, yay! To avoid a lot of repetition, we're splitting up some of the recipes that are similar in technique but different in flavor, like we did for macarons. This week, we are all making plain scones, to prepare for next week, where we'll all choose one of three different flavor scones. So far, only a few of us have completed the recipe, but we'll add more results as we get them.




Tania:
12 scones, 350 standard oven, 26 minutes

I was excited to make this recipe, since I love scones but have yet to find a good recipe. Well, the search is over! This was easy to make, and super delicious! Most scones are rather dry, but these were moist and crumbly. I was surprised when reading the instructions, since scones are related to biscuits, and I've only ever made biscuits by hand or with a food processor. TK has you using a stand mixer, which incorporates the butter more thoroughly. I used Plugra butter, and sour cream instead of creme fraiche. Although you must chill this dough twice before baking, with a little advance notice, these can easily be made the night before and baked off in the morning for fresh breakfast scones. I made sure not to overwork the dough, which was wet but easy to work with. After the first chill, the dough was easy to cut into triangles as directed, and I got 12 scones exactly. I froze them for about 3 hours, then got impatient and had to bake them!

Before baking, I brushed them with cream and sprinkled them with demerara sugar. Next time, I'll use more sugar, because I loved the sweet crunch on top!

The sour cream gave these a tangy taste. They were crumbly, moist, and amazing! I couldn't stop eating them. After a few days, I could tell they were getting stale, so they really are best enjoyed immediately. With maybe the addition of some citrus zest or dried fruit, there are endless ways to make these. This will be my scone recipe from now on. I think they taste best with a cup of Earl Grey tea while watching Downton Abbey.



Leticia:
Convection bake, Metric measurements

If I bake anything, my family looks forward to what ever comes out of the oven to be scones. I have baked just about every scone recipe that has crossed my path. When I first baked these plain scones from the Bouchon Bakery book, my family was in heaven. I have to admit, I jumped ahead and began using this recipe when I first purchased this book.  

The ingredients for this recipe calls for cake flour, créme fraîche and lots of butter. Upon reading the ingredients, I knew these scones were going to be a winner and come out extremely moist.  The outside has a wonderful crunch with the added large-crystal sparkling sugar and the crumb is moist with enough sweetness that we Americans like in our scones! This recipe was easy to read and quick to prepare. I do like that the butter is fully incorporated in the dough. It also makes it easier to handle since the dough is not dry like most other recipes. The technique of using one's palm is key as in past recipes I would handle the dough a bit too much. I never knew it could be so easy to whip up a recipe that would turn out as delicious as this. I always make the dough at night and freeze overnight then in the morning pop the scones in the oven. 


Jonathan
Standard bake, Metric measure

I made these a couple of times. The first time I used my oven on standard before the convection fan was replaced. On standard the scones heated up and melted a bit given the longer time in the oven. I ended up with less shapely scones that weren't very golden - although the flavor overall was reviewed as outstanding! Especially withe the Meyer lemon cured I had on hand from making Meyer lemon macarons.

The second time around I was able to bake a batch on convection with much better results. The scones retained their overall shape much better and also browned nicely in the baking time. Into this second batch I added about 100g of zante currants plumped in a little cognac and zest from a Meyer lemon. With the flavor from the fruit and zest these didn't even need any jam, curd, or devon cream - they were perfect on their own.



Guest Baker: Alison
12 scones, standard bake
special ingredient: dried blueberries


Loved the scone recipe!!  The cake flour made them really light and delicate.  I have to say that I do no like "rubbing in" the butter with the stand mixer.  I prefer to rub it in by hand or with a pastry blender. I followed the recipe and started with the mixer and ended up finishing it by hand anyway.  I added organic dried blueberries and they were probably the best scones I have ever made. Another winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment