November 11, 2013

Toffee

Toffee is another form of cooked sugar, similar to caramel. It is cooked to a higher temperature and nuts are added, usually almonds. This version is similar to English Toffee, which is made with butter and coated in chocolate. This would make a lovely holiday gift for parties or neighbors, wrapped up in cellophane bags and tied with a bow. 




Tania

I've never made toffee, but it was similar to the caramel making process from last week. I made a few changes to the recipe. I used almonds in the toffee, but hazelnuts on the chocolate. I didn't have confectionary rulers so I used a half sheet pan lined with parchment. I should have bought stock in parchment paper before this project started, I have gone through about a ton of it! 

If there's one thing I've learned from this book, it's to read each recipe thoroughly. The toffee really bubbled up in the pan, it looked a bit like a witch's cauldron. I've also learned, especially with candy and caramel, to have everything ready and work quickly. Temperature is very important, and I kept a close eye on it this time. 

I was less successful with tempering the chocolate, again, without using a thermometer. After spreading the chocolate on the toffee and sprinkling with nuts, I let it set up. But when I went to break it up into pieces, the heat from my fingers melted the chocolate a little. No matter, it was still delicious! So sweet and crunchy and rich, the perfect holiday treat. My husband kept eating little pieces all night, but I told him to eat the ugly pieces only, since I hadn't taken any photos yet.  I'll definitely make this recipe again, it wasn't too difficult and used ingredients I usually have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment